Call for Tenders: Writing an in-depth study on the economic situation in Portugal
The Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung is an internationally operating, left, non-profit organisation for civic education affiliated with Germany’s “Die Linke” (Left Party). Active since 1990, the foundation has been committed to the analysis of social and political processes and developments worldwide. We work in favour of a more just world system based on international solidarity.
The tender is for a service to write an in-depth study on the economic situation in Portugal. The Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, Madrid Liaison Office, seeks to have a comprehensive in-depth study on these aspects: background, current situation, potential scenarios and possibilities to carry out a progressive economic program within the EU.
About the project
The overall aim is to contribute to a deeper understanding of the economic policies, the possibilities of sovereignty, in economic terms, for a Member State in the EU. How to comply the EU obligations, avoid sanctions but keep a progressive program? It also should shed light on the severe restrictions on public debt. Is the public debt acted against the possible recovery and the expansion of social policies, after the long period of drastic austerity and social destruction?
The article should address the issue comprehensively by giving insights on fields like: general background and previous situation, the European Commission discussion on sanctions to be imposed against Portugal, the impact of the program of quantitative easing by the ECB.
Some of the research questions could be, amongst others, the following:
- Discuss the impact of the state intervention in the banking crises, measuring the impact and cost of those actions;
- Mention the discussion on alternatives: restructuring of the public debt, changing the rules of the Banking Union;
- Alternatives and possibilities of recovering of Portuguese economy under the Euro;
- Impacts of the severe restrictions on public debt: how these restrictions affect the possible recovery and the expansion of social policies after the long period of drastic austerity and social destruction?
- Discuss the European Commission on sanctions to be imposed against Portugal, as well as the impact of the program of quantitative easing by the ECB.
The study should concentrate the information regarding the concrete economic proposals, limits and realistic scenarios. The study should also provide measurable data as well as should include economic analysis of the potential scenarios.
- You have comprehensive knowledge of the ongoing debates on the Portuguese economy;
- You have demonstrated experience in publishing studies in English;
- You have very good, proven ability to work independently and toward deadlines;
- You identify yourself with the aims of Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung.
- Language of the paper: English (it could be translated into other languages);
- Length of the paper: 60.000–70.000 characters without spaces (including a summary).
Please send applications by email to Amelia Martínez-Lobo: Amelia.Martinez-Lobo@rosalux.org
Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung, Brussels Office – Madrid Liaison Office
Applications should include the following:
- The author’s/s’ CV/s in English;
- An abstract in English of one page long;
- Remuneration proposal: €4.000 (VAT excluded).
Please state the remuneration proposed and if you are VAT exempt (only applicable for EU residents).
- The deadline for applications is 6 September 2019, 1pm CEST;
- The contract shall be signed by 13 September 2019;
- A draft should be sent on 1 November 2019;
- The peer review meeting will take place on 15 November 2019;
- The final version should be sent on 30 November 2019.
Applicants are advised that renewal of this contract is currently not envisaged.
Should you require any further information, please contact Amelia Martínez-Lobo by email.