Just Transition and Speeding up the Development of Renewable Energies
Networking event for social movements and trade unions with MEP, MPs and other political leaders from the Party of the European Left and its national member parties as well as from the Confederal Group of the European United Left/Nordic Green Left in the European Parliament.
- How can we speed up the development of renewable energies?
- How can we end coal and lignite mining?
- How can we create a Million and more decent, well-paid and unionised climate jobs?
- Building alliances for a Just Transition
The EU and its member states need to embark on an agenda of transformational change, one that puts the health and interests of the people and the planet first. A Just Transition must quickly be implemented in order to meet the targets agreed in Paris at COP 21. How can social movements, trade unions and politics work together to draw up long-term strategies?
Elements of these strategies are
- Embedding an economic development policy in a strategy for climate justice.
- Investments in innovative, sustainable and renewable energy production.
- Strengthening local and regional economic cycles.
- Public expenditure from EU and member states to support these investments and the development of technologies.
- Include local and regional governments, cities and municipalities in this strategy building.
- Cornelia Ernst, Member of European Parliament, Germany, left group GUE/NGL
- Xabier Benito Ziluaga, Member of European Parliament, PODEMOS, Spain, left group GUE/NGL
- Molly Walsh, Friends of the Earth Europe, Brussels
- Frederik Moch, Head of Department for Structural and Industrial Policy in the National Executive Board of Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund (DGB, German Trade Union Confederation)
- Sean Sweeney, Trade Unions for Energy Democracy
When: 6 November 2017, 4.30 pm – 7.00 pm
Where: MIGRApolis-Haus der Vielfalt, Bonner Institut für Migrationsforschung und Interkulturelles Lernen (BIM), Brüdergasse 16-18, 53111 Bonn
Languages: English, Spanish, German
Contact: Marlis Gensler, marlis.gensler(at)rosalux(dot)org
Organisation: Delegation DIE LINKE. in the European Parliament; Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung Brussels Office